Mustard is not just for hot dogs and hamburgers anymore. I love to use it as a marinade for my Mexican Mustard Chicken. This recipe is delicious and low in fat. I am going to show you how to prepare juicy chicken that is full of flavor and beautiful color.
MEXICAN MUSTARD CHICKEN
Chicken is a healthy and low fat option when it comes to adding animal protein to your diet. My favorite part of the chicken is the thigh. It is the most flavorful, in my opinion.
You can easily remove the skin and fat to make it low fat. The secret to making my recipes low-fat is that I usually do not use fat – no oil, butter or even cooking spray is added to my meals. This recipe is no exception. I remove the skin and fat from each piece of chicken and cook it in its own juices so that I do not have to add fat. I have a special way of removing fat from chicken thighs. There is some fat visible that is around the thigh, but there is also a small pocket of fat that should be removed at the top of the thigh. Watch my Youtube video for more detailed instructions on how to clean and remove fat from your chicken thighs.
Mustard is the star ingredient of this dish. It adds a tangy flavor and golden color that is outstanding. I make a delicious marinade in this recipe that coats the meat completely, making every inch of it tasty. This easy sauce is made from simple ingredients that you probably already have at home. Use a zip top bag to mix the marinade and the thighs and leave them in the refrigerator over night. You could even prepare this the night before and have it ready to cook and serve for dinner the next day. If you have less time, you can score the chicken thighs, as I did in my video, to make sure the marinade gets into the chicken meat.
Don’t forget to share this recipe with your friends and send me pictures of your creations and use #SpicyLatinaMom.
MEXICAN MUSTARD CHICKEN
2 chicken thighs
1/2 cup of yellow mustard
1/3 cup of water
1/8 cup of white vinegar
1/2 sliced onion
1 sliced jalapeño
2 garlic cloves
Salt to taste
- Remove the skin and as much fat from the chicken thighs as possible and score it on both sides
- Blend the mustard, vinegar, water, garlic cloves and salt until it is smooth
- Place the thighs in a zip top bag and pour in the marinade
- Make sure the marinade coat the thighs evenly. Marinade for as long as you like
- Place the thighs in a pan on high heat with more salt to taste
- Once the sauce begins to boil, lower the heat, cover and cook for 30 minutes
- Remove the excess fat from the sauce and flip the thighs
- Add the slices of onion and jalapeño, cover and cook for 10 more minutes
I love to read your comments! Please leave your comments below and share this recipe with your friends. ❤Laura