Mole is an authentic Mexican delight. It comes in a variety of colors and flavors that are widespread throughout Mexico. Every region has its own way of making mole. I am going to show you how to prepare this spicy Mexican mole recipe with chicken and a delicious mole sauce from scratch.
AUTHENTIC MEXICAN CHICKEN MOLE
Mole is a Mexican sauce usually served over chicken in. It is a dish that is original to Mexico and served throughout the country. Although it is typically seen as a deep red sauce, there is a vast variety of recipes for mole. Almost every Mexican state has a typical sauce that is unique to that region. Mole Poblano is an example of the typical recipes originating in the state of Puebla. This is the type we usually see in those skinny glass jars and square cartons in the grocery store. Mole can be red, green, yellow, black and even white. The variety is not only found in its look, but also in its signature ingredients.
The basic composition of this sauce is chili peppers, tomatoes, sweetness from fruit or sugar and something to add body and texture to the sauce. I use a combination of peppers and spices in this sauce, roma tomatoes, cocoa powder and believe it or not, a piece of banana for sweetness and texture. Other regions use nuts and seeds, dried fruit and even a charred and blackened tortilla to add flavor, texture and depth to the sauce. All you have to do is boil some chicken thighs in water with salt, garlic, onion, and cilantro. Once you sauce is ready, plate the chicken thighs and pour a generous amount of mole on top. Sprinkle it all with some toasted sesame seeds and you will turn plain chicken into an authentic and traditional Mexican masterpiece.
If you want to make a real Mexican mole sauce from scratch, look no further. The chilies, the spices, and the sweet flavors make this recipe just like the real deal. Once you prepare this delicious chicken mole, you will never buy the jar of instant mole from the grocery store again. Enjoy!
Show me how your recipe came out on Instagram with #SpicyLatinaMom and don´t forget to subscribe to my Youtube Channel and social media for everyday inspiration and more delicious recipes.
3 chicken thighs
1 tbsp of salt
1 piece of onion
2 garlic cloves
A few sprigs of cilantro
4 Ancho chilies
4 Pasilla chilies
6 Mulato chilies
2 Morita chilies
2 Roma tomatoes
1 piece of onion
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp of cocoa
¼ cup of raisins
1 tbsp of ground cinnamon
1 pinch of ground clove
1 pinch or marjoram
½ of a banana
1 tbsp of sugar or substitute
¼ cup of sesame seeds
- Remove all the skin and fat from the chicken thighs
- Boil them in a pot with the salt, garlic, onion, and cilantro until fully cooked
- Remove the stems from the chilies and toast them for about a minute
- Soak the chilies and tomatoes in hot water for 5 minutes
- Put the chilies, tomatoes, a cup of the soaking liquid and salt in a blender and mix well
- Add a piece of onion and 2 garlic cloves and continue blending
- Strain the sauce through a mesh strainer to get rid of all the skin and seeds
- Put the strained sauce in the blender with the cocoa powder, raisins, cinnamon, clove, marjoram, banana, sugar and salt and blend well
- Add a cup of chicken broth to the mole sauce and boil it in a pot for about 5-10 minutes
- Toast the sesame seeds for a few seconds
- Serve the chicken, pour the mole on top, and sprinkle with sesame seeds
I love to read your comments! Please leave your comments below and share this recipe with your friends. ❤Laura